Introduction to Intellectual Property and Entrepreneurship for Biotherapeutic Scientists
When and Where:
Friday, September 14, 2018, 8:30am - 4pm
The Chestnut Residence & Conference Centre, Toronto, Ontario
The Clinical Translation Education Group (CTEG) will be hosting a one-day workshop on intellectual property (IP) and entrepreneurship. It will be aimed at highly-qualified personnel (HQP), with the objective of introducing key topics related to IP and entrepreneurship within the context of biotherapeutic technologies for scientists in academia.
- Understand, at a high level, what IP is.
- Understand how to conduct a patent search.
- Understand how to navigate the IP process with your university's Tech Transfer Office (TTO).
- Learn the fundamental aspects of entrepreneurship in the context of a biotherapeutic discovery.
- IP 101
- Conducting patent searches
- Working with your university’s TTO
- Keynote on IP
- How do I finance the development of my discovery?
- Introduction to business plans and term sheets
- Meet the experts in IP and entrepreneurship fields
Agenda and Speakers:
The agenda for the workshop is being finalized now. Please stay tuned for more information. Speakers will include:
- Stefan Larson, Venture Partner, Versant Ventures
- Katherine Bonter, Director of Intellectual Property, Clementia Pharmaceuticals
- Namrata Barai, Senior Manager, Business Development, Industry Partnerships and Commercialization, SickKids
- Patricia Folkins, Partner, Bereskin & Parr
- Philip Toleikis, President & CEO, Sernova Corp.
- Ainslie Little, Director of Intellectual Property, BlueRock Therapeutics
- Jonathan Yeh, Manager, Venture Development, CCRM
- Julia Pomoransky, Manufacturing Sciences and Technology, Turnstone Biologics
- Milica Radisic, Professor & Canada Research Chair, Functional Cardiovascular Tissue Engineering, University of Toronto
- Michael May, President & CEO, CCRM
What to Bring:
There will be an interactive session called "How to Conduct a Patent Search" during the workshop. Please bring a laptop computer or tablet so that you can participate.
This event is brought to you by the CTEG member organizations and is sponsored, in part, by Medicine by Design.
CellCAN-C3i Hands-on GMP Workshop
The number of good manufacturing practice (GMP) facilities is growing in Canada with the rapid progressions in cell therapy. This has created a need for well-trained highly qualified personnel (HQP), as working under GMP conditions and requirements for GMP manipulations are regulated and quite different than in standard research laboratories. In this course the attendees will learn the essentials of GMP requirements from experts illustrated by several experiences from actual clinical trials. The workshop is a mixture of lectures and hands-on training. Participants will actually perform manipulations according to the GMP standards. Moreover, attendees will have the chance to experience the workflow in a GMP facility and learn how a GMP cell therapy facility is organized.
Workshop Dates: October 14-15-16, 2018
Workshop Location: Centre d’Excellence en Thérapie Cellulaire (CETC) at Maisonneuve-Rosemont Hospital, Montreal
CellCAN Lunch Workshop @TMM2018
CellCAN will host a lunch workshop in the Ontario Room during the TIll & McCulloch Meetings in Ottawa.
More to come soon...